Neil Butcher & Associates (NBA) is committed to improving equitable access, quality, and effectiveness of education in developing countries.
Purpose, Mission and Values
We believe that effective education should equip learners to think critically, creatively, and independently, as well as to develop a sense of agency and responsibility for their lives and the world in which they live. Education should support learners to engage with the world of work and thus generate sustainable livelihoods, as well as becoming active, engaged, and accountable citizens. We believe that innovative teaching methodologies and judicious use of technology to enhance learning are key success factors for effective education.
As consultants and project sub-contractors, we establish working relationships with educational providers and others working in the education sector to ensure the delivery of high quality products and services. We are committed to the delivery of innovative, excellent quality work, on time and at competitive prices to meet the needs of our clients and their educational constituencies. In this way we hope to contribute to the development of education in South Africa, Africa, and beyond.
Our Core Service
In striving to fulfil our vision, we provide the following core services:
- Offering strategic planning and policy advice to significant role players in education planning and implementation.
- Designing projects and preparing detailed implementation strategies for educational initiatives of all scales.
- Conducting research and evaluation in the education sector.
- Developing and aggregating content for course, curriculum and training materials development; working in multiple media including print, video, audio and online multimedia.
- Developing, supporting and promoting the use of Open Education Resources (OER).
- Harnessing the use of open-source and proprietary ICT systems to develop online portals, specialising particularly in content development and management services.
- Developing the capacity of educators to harness technology effectively to design and implement effective educational courses and programmes.
Based in Johannesburg, South Africa, NBA’s primary focus has been on Africa, we have extended our reach globally (but with a niche focus on the developing world) through work with clients such as the Commonwealth of Learning, World Bank, Commonwealth Secretariat, and UNESCO.